Resources for those who may have caused harm

If you are concerned that you have caused harm related to sexual violence, relationship violence, sexual harassment, or stalking you may experience a range of emotions, and your view of yourself, your life, and your future might be affected.

There are resources available at UC Berkeley to assist you with realizing your impact on other people, taking accountability, and working to address harmful attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. 

While this page is intended for those who are not currently respondents in any campus or police investigation and/or adjudication processes, the resources listed are also available to respondents in criminal or campus investigation and/or adjudication processes. If you are seeking help while navigating the university and/or police investigation and adjudication processes as a respondent, please see the resources listed on our Respondent Services page.

According to the UC Policy on Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment (SVSH), a Respondent is a person alleged, in a report to the Title IX Officer, to have engaged in Prohibited Conduct.

Please be aware: If you are not currently a respondent in campus or criminal investigation and/or adjudication processes, receiving services from one (or more) of the resources listed on this page does not disqualify you from being named as a respondent in a campus or criminal investigation in the future. 

Unsure of where to start?

Students, staff, and faculty who are concerned they have caused harm may wish to begin with confidential counseling resources. For assistance exploring your options and resources, contact any of the resources listed below to schedule an appointment. In addition, you may wish to seek counseling and support at University Health Services for harm you yourself have experienced.

*Important Note: Counseling and ombuds staff are confidential, except in cases involving an imminent risk of serious harm to yourself or other people, and for counseling in cases of abuse or neglect of a person of a protected class. Any resource not specifically designated as confidential is a Responsible Employee. You are encouraged to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about confidentiality when you connect with any resource.*

Undergraduate and Graduate/ Professional Student Resources

Social Services at University Health Services (UHS) Tang Center (Confidential)

Social Services at UHS/ Tang Center has social workers who specialize in all areas of sexual and gender violence and harassment, including counseling for anyone who is concerned about causing harm. Social Services provides confidential individual counseling, consultation, and referrals. There is no fee for counseling services.

This process can be long and you may feel uncertainty at various times. The counseling services on this page can help you identify places to start, answer your questions, and support you.

Phone: 510-642-6074 | Website:

For after-hours emergency consultation with a counselor or crisis resource referrals, students may call 855-817-5667.

Visiting Scholars and Postdoctoral Appointees

Ombudsperson for Students & Postdoctoral Appointees (Confidential)

510-642-5754 |

The Ombuds Office is a confidential, neutral space where students can get help navigating informal and formal options and receive referrals to campus resources. The ombuds provides clarification on policy and procedures, assistance with academic accommodations, mediation and coaching on difficult situations. Visitors are empowered with information to make choices that best fit their needs.

Student Advocate's Office, ASUC (Confidential)

(510) 642-6912 | |

Berkeley’s student government (ASUC) offers the Student Advocate’s Office which has a staff of student volunteers committed to providing support and advocacy to students involved in alleged violations of misconduct or academic dishonesty. Student Advocate's Office staff are not Responsible Employees, however they do not have evidentiary privilege, and therefore may be compelled to reveal information by a court of law.

Employee Resources

Be Well at Work Employee Assistance (Confidential Resource) 

University Health Services, Tang Center

2222 Bancroft Way, Suite 3100 | 510-643-7754


Provides free, confidential assessment, referral, and consultation services for UC Berkeley faculty, staff, visiting scholars, and postdoctoral appointees. 

Staff Ombuds Office (Confidential)

Phone: 510-642-7823 | Website

The Staff Ombuds Office is an independent department that provides strictly confidential, impartial and informal conflict resolution and problem-solving services for all staff, non-senate academics, and faculty who perform management functions. The Staff Ombuds Office provides a safe place for individuals to voice and clarify concerns, understand conflict situations, and think through how they want to proceed at their own pace.